European Excellence Initiative (EEI)
- Integrated and longer-term cooperation between the partner universities in the network, and with actors in surrounding ecosystems, jointly creating critical mass to contribute better to major societal challenges
- Tangible progress towards institutional transformation / modernisation of universities (in its broadest sense), with a particular emphasis on the entities located in widening countries
- Strengthened cooperation with a view to raising excellence, global competitiveness, and general attractiveness for international talents and investments
- Contribute to a portfolio of successful cooperation models for modernisation/ transformation at research and innovation level, in synergy with their education dimension
- Facilitate future synergies between the European Education Area and the European Research Area, in particular liaising with the European Universities pilot projects
Type of Action: Coordination and Support Action – lump sum (CSA-LS)
Project Duration: up to 3 years.
Project Composition: Comprehensive universities, small universities, non-university research centres, academy of science institutes, polytechnic universities, universities of applied science, and specialised laboratories. Actors of surrounding innovation ecosystems are encouraged to be involved as partner organisations.
- At least 70% of the budget should be allocated to the beneficiaries based in widening countries or benefit directly the institutional transformation of such beneficiaries.
- Entities who already benefit from the European Universities initiative pilot funding of Erasmus+ and Horizon 2020 can participate, but are excluded from receiving funding through this action.
- Comprehensive set of activities to be supported: short term staff exchanges; expert visits and short-term on-site or virtual training; workshops; conference attendance; organisation of joint summer school type activities; dissemination and outreach activities; research management and administration.