ERC Advanced Grant
Advanced Grants are designed to support excellent Principal Investigators at the career stage at which they are already established research leaders with a recognised track record of research achievements.
Who Can Apply?
Applicant Principal Investigators must demonstrate the ground-breaking nature, ambition and feasibility of their scientific proposal. A competitive Advanced Grant Principal Investigator must have already shown a record which identifies them as an exceptional leader in terms of originality and significance of their research contributions.
ERC Advanced Grant Principal Investigators are expected to be active researchers and to have a track record of significant research achievements in the last 10 years which must be presented in the application.
Eligibility criteria: in most fields, Principal Investigators of Advanced Grant proposals will be expected to demonstrate a record of achievements appropriate to the field and at least matching one or more of the following benchmarks:
- 10 publications as main author (or in those fields where alphabetic order of authorship is the norm, joint author) in major international peer-reviewed multidisciplinary scientific journals, and/or in the leading international peer-reviewed journals and peer-reviewed conferences proceedings of their respective field;
- 3 major research monographs. This benchmark is relevant to research fields where publication of monographs is the norm
Other alternative benchmarks that may be considered (individually or in combination) as indicative of an exceptional record and recognition in the last 10 years:
- 5 granted patents;
- 10 invited presentations in well-established internationally organised conferences and
- advanced schools;
- 3 research expeditions led by the applicant Principal Investigator;
- 3 well-established international conferences or congresses where the applicant was involved in their organisation as a member of the steering and/or organising committee;
- International recognition through scientific or artistic prizes/awards or membership in well-regarded Academies or artefact with documented use;
- Major contributions to launching the careers of outstanding researchers;
- Recognised leadership in industrial innovation
Size of ERC Advanced Grant:
Advanced Grants may be awarded up to a maximum of € 2.5 million for a period of 5 years. In addition, up to an additional € 1.0 million can be requested in the proposal, to cover specific additional extraordinary costs.
Expected time commitment of the Advanced Grant Principal Investigator
Principal Investigators funded through the ERC Advanced Grants shall spend a minimum of 50% of their working time in an EU Member State or Associated Country and a minimum of 30% of their working time on the ERC project.
Principal Investigators shall ensure a sufficient time commitment and presence throughout the course of the project to guarantee its proper execution.
It is expected that Principal Investigators will be able to start their project within six months of receiving an invitation letter from the ERC.
Further information - Advanced Useful Links