ERA - Calls for Reforming and Enhancing the EU Research and Innovation System
What are the ERA calls?
The European Research Area (ERA) calls are offering grants for a consortium of organisations from different countries that contribute to the strengthening of the European R&I policies by creating policy reforms and initiatives at the national level through research, networking activities, partnerships, data collection, technology development & integration, and testing & validating small-scale prototypes in a laboratory or simulated environments.
The ERA calls for proposals promote the free circulation of knowledge by sharing research outputs rapidly and efficiently. The calls are also aimed at improving access to excellence by promoting inclusive gender equality in the R&I system, increasing the synergy and trust within actors in the R&I system, aiming for the alignment of common strategic research agendas to national plans, and involving citizens in research and innovation outcomes to benefit the society.
The calls topics also focus on promoting the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and especially the SDG of Quality Education, Gender Equality, Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure, and Partnerships for the Goals.
Type of calls: Top-Down. Each call seeks a unique activity, per the topic the call aims to strengthen.
Topics of the ERA calls:
- Prioritizing Investment and Reform
- Translating R&I Results Into the Economy
- Open Science
- Higher Education Institutions and Researchers
- Science Communication
- Science Education
- Gender Equality
- Ethics and Integrity
Who can apply?
- A consortium of at least 3 partners from 3 different countries participating in the programme - EU Member State countries or Horizon Europe Associated Countries (e.g. Israel).
- Out of the 3, at least one partner must be from an EU Member State country.
- A partner can be any legal entity – University, company, agency, organisation, etc.
ERA calls for 2022:
For a summary of information on each of the calls, their allocated grant budget per project, and their application page, please refer to the informal Summary of the ERA calls leaflet created by ISERD.
List of calls:
- Acceleration Services in support of the institutional transformation of Higher Education Institutions (HORIZON-WIDERA-2022-ERA-01-51);
- Supporting the development of aligned policies for open access books and monographs (HORIZON-WIDERA-2022-ERA-01-42);
- The empirical and behavioural approach to research ethics and integrity (HORIZON-WIDERA-2022-ERA-01-91);
- An experimentation space for the uptake and use of R&I results for EU resilience and future preparedness (HORIZON-WIDERA-2022-ERA-01-32);
- Increasing the reproducibility of scientific results (HORIZON-WIDERA-2022-ERA-01-41);
- Developing and piloting training on the practice of open and responsible research and innovation (HORIZON-WIDERA-2022-ERA-01-44);
- Support for policy makers – Programme level collaboration between national R&I programmes (HORIZON-WIDERA-2022-ERA-01-10);
- Open schooling for science education and a learning continuum for all (HORIZON-WIDERA-2022-ERA-01-70);
- Innowwide Bridging Facility (HORIZON-WIDERA-2022-ERA-01-31);
- Testing of the ERA Hub concept – pilot phase (HORIZON-WIDERA-2022-ERA-01-30);
- Stepping-up institutional and territorial changes towards open and responsible research and innovation (HORIZON-WIDERA-2022-ERA-01-40);
- Developing an effective ERA talent pipeline (HORIZON-WIDERA-2022-ERA-01-50);
- A European competence centre for science communication (HORIZON-WIDERA-2022-ERA-01-60);
- Living Lab for gender-responsive innovation (HORIZON-WIDERA-2022-ERA-01-80); and
- Support to the implementation of inclusive gender equality plans (HORIZON-WIDERA-2022-ERA-01-81).
More information on the ERA calls for proposals on the Funding and Tenders portal
Date of calls:
- The call closed on April 20, 2022. The next call is yet to be scheduled
For questions regarding the calls and their submission requirements please contact the ERA team at ISERD.