08:30 - 9:00 Virtual room opens
09:00 – 9:10 Opening address by Mariya GABRIEL, Commissioner for Innovation, Research, Culture, Education and Youth (pre-recorded video)
09:00 - 09:15 Introduction by Barbara ROMANOWICZ, Member of the ERC Scientific Council, and Isabelle VERNOS, Center for Genomic Regulation (ES)
09:15 - 10:15 Keynote: Sabine OERTELT-PRIGIONE, Radboud University (NL)
10:15 - 10:30 Coffee break
10:30 - 12:15 | Session 1: Gender in medicine and medical care
Moderator: Paola BOVOLENTA, Member of the ERC Scientific Council
Rapporteur: Philippe CUPERS, ERC
Speaker: Natasha KARP, AstraZeneca (UK), “Sex bias in preclinical research: why it exists and why change has been slow”
- Irene MIGUEL-ALIAGA, Imperial College London (UK)
Project: IntraGutSex, “The sex of organs”
- Ted MORROW, Karlstad University (SE)
Project: 2Sexes_1Genome, "Sex-specific genetic effects on fitness and human disease"
- Nabila BOUATIA-NAJI, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale (FR)
Project: ROSALIND, "Genetic investigation of challenging and atypical vascular diseases, predominant in women"
12:15 - 13:00 Lunch
13:00 - 14:45 | Session 2: Gender, demographics and behaviour
Moderator: Manuel ARELLANO, Member of the ERC Scientific Council
Rapporteur: Angela LIBERATORE, ERC
Speaker: Nicola FUCHS-SCHÜNDELN, Goethe University Frankfurt (DE), “The gender dimension in economic research”
- Judi MESMAN, Leiden University College (NL)
Project: Boys will be boys?, “The childhood origins of gendered societal roles”
- Iñaki PERMANYER, Center for Demographic Studies (ES)
Project: EQUALIZE, "Equalizing or disequalizing? Opposing socio-demographic determinants of the spatial distribution of welfare"
- Claudia ALLEMANI, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (UK)
Project: VENUSCANCER "Women’s cancers: do variations in patterns of care explain the world-wide inequalities in survival and avoidable premature deaths?"
14:45 – 15:00 Coffee break
15:00 – 16:45 | Session 3: Gender and fairness in the digital society
Moderator: Barbara ROMANOWICZ, Member of the ERC Scientific Council
Rapporteur: Martin PENNY, ERC
Speaker: Nello CRISTIANINI, University of Bristol (UK) – “AI Bias from the Wild”
- Niels VAN DOORN, University of Amsterdam (NL)
Project: PLABOR, “Platform Labor: Digital transformations of work and livelihood in post-welfare societies”
- Krishna GUMMADI, Max Planck Institute (DE)
Project: FairSocialComputing, "Gender Bias in Algorithmic Decision Making"
- Sandra PONZANESI, Utrecht University (NL)
Project: CONNECTING EUROPE, "Migration, Digital media and Emotions"
16:45 - 16:55 | Concluding remarks by Waldemar KUTT, ERCEA Director
16:55 - 17:15 Coffee break
17:15 - 18:30 | Policy dialogue
Moderator: Athene DONALD, University of Cambridge
- Helena DALLI, Commissioner for Equality (pre-recorded video)
- Lina GÁLVEZ MUÑOZ, Member of European Parliament
- Marc ANGEL, Member of European Parliament
18:25 - 18:30 Closing remarks by Jean-Pierre BOURGUIGNON, ERC President
18:30 End of workshop